We have witnessed lots of changes in our lives. Be it in matters of material pleasures or the betterment/detriment of our lifestyles over the years or in culture inherited. It was such a quieter world some decades ago. Even today my grandfather tells me the amount of money he used to pay for groceries, a clock, his cycle, how they lived in a joint family etc. It's very nice to listen and feel the tranquility that existed in those days. When I look at today's life from an old-age Indian perspective, the world feels like a mess, with no order. Each one busy in his/her world with even your next door neighbor being a stranger.
Its quite natural that I am proud being born in India and that I place the dignity of my country at the highest possible place. Its also natural that when I meet people of my kind, I feel they are in the right direction in life. But, different people think differently. What some might feel right, others may not. With extreme kinds of people that I have come across of my age, there are several questions that come in front of me. How will the future generation be? With the kind of ideas that I get to hear, from my very own friends (not necessarily my kind) I was just struck! When my fellow classmates belittle the capability of India and rise questions in this regard telling "There is nothing possible here" or "There's no life here and it is a waste living here" it simply was unacceptable. May be to make a better living one decides to migrate. But that does not mean, you should belittle the country that you survived on all these years..that gave you air to breathe. However wonderful another lady looks, you cannot call her your mother. Your mother is always your lovely mother, no matter how she is or what she is! ( And this makes me proud about womanhood :) She gives and gives and gives.. everything she has) And then I am left with the question of, what will these set of people teach their children? That their "Mother India" is incapable and wasted? It just reflects their lack of concern for their roots.
Others are of the kind who do not respect elders..hmm..and also who do not respect women. What will be the morale of a child who is brought up by them?! Also, how well will they themselves hold and protect the dignity of women in their family? It is the question of one living person and his entire life we are talking about! It is a duty of the parents to bring up their children in a "not-a-wrong" path. A small matter left without considering can give a twist in the kid's life. Parenthood is indeed a huge responsibility. For this, it is important for the parents (together) to know and distinguish between what is right and what is not! Values in life are extremely important. I see lots of people of this generation lacking this and it scares me. I am not telling that we have to go back to a lifestyle where children never used to raise their voices against parents and elders. But, as long as you know you are right about a thing/issue, I don't think one has to worry or be scared. If it results in a mistake, at least you will learn from it and that it was because of your own decision. But this confidence that one be aware of what he/she is doing and an inner strength to take a step on his/her own can be inculcated only by the environment at home and in the society in which the kid grows. And I am scared for those who show no signs of infusing these in their children. Simply because the future of this society will be in their hands.
There were days when parents used to make their children learn arts, traditional music (like Karnatic and Hindustani), dance etc to preserve the culture and also because it adds a different kind of personality to the child. These Indian visual and performance arts are just not for fun or pleasure! Even today, if you observe an old karnatic music singer who has dedicated all his life to it, you can notice that tejassu (in kannada) on his/her glowing face. And they live no less than 70-80 years..with sharp senses. Gangubai Hanagal, Ustaad Bismillah Khan, Kunnukudi Vaidyanathan form excellent examples. Nowhere do we find such dedicated people in our generation. We are all responsible in this matter. There are numerous wonderful cultures and customs in every regional part of a state in India. I hope we put enough efforts to pass it on to next generations.
you are growing, good for you! Its not easy to follow your grandfather era's values. I dont mean they ain't good. The whole system has changed. Those days people spoke with experience. Now it has no value, neither are the parents' doing well. Attitude has changed. We just have to move on with time. Dont expect others to change. The best thing you can do is set an example to others. You know, pakkada maneyavarna copy maadode nam society culture.
ReplyDeletehaha :D yeah.. exactly! pakkada mane avru maadidde correct anno kaala. Agreed that its not easy to follow grandfather's eras and values. However, we can make an attempt to not go in the wrong path and nourish the next generation in a decent way :)Also, moving on with time should be such that one has to take the best of these changes and discard the rest. So that it will be a perfect blend of old values and the new ones.
ReplyDelete