Labels

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Bus day

I appreciate this initiative taken by Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation to observe a "Bus Day" on the 4th of every month. The first being today. A call to travel by bus and to pool in for a day in a month is a very good step towards creating awareness to preserve the fuel deposits as much as possible and to reduce congestion as well.

One main reason for traffic jams as I have observed-One..only ONE person driving a 4-wheeler to work! As far as 40-50 kms per day! Of course..its his/her preference and a matter of comfort. But atleast if an effort is made to pool in people coming from the same region of the city working in the same office..it would be a great added advantage. Both a stress-buster, a check on the money spent and also on fuel. I know..one fine day all the fuel deposits will get exhausted and the consequences can't be predicted. Transportation is only one of the domains that runs on fuel..for local transport, cycles will probably be used (Good if this happens! People will get better health! And lesser fatal accidents..and its the best feeling to move with your own efforts) Wind, Solar, hydro (only if reservoirs are filled) and others will be the only sources left..which are not really reliable as one cannot predict its availability. I have grown-up with the dams of Karnataka..and trust me..the scenario is simply hopeless! The reservoirs of dams which flourished 14 years ago..when people used to get scared to go near the overflowing ferocious water..where roads between two colonies would be blocked leaving no other way to reach the other end of the bridge between the reservoir and the river..2 years ago stood dry..with as less as 550 meters from the mean sea level in the month of june-july!(rainy season) Back when I was a kid..I used to see the same dam's reservoir full to the fullest..and the turbines running like they would loose an Olympic medal if they stopped! (Ah! How I miss those days! Glad I got to experience them! Not everyone gets to grow up in the remote parts of western ghats! Except wild animals of course ;)) It was a feast!

Anyway, with the Volvo buses replacing the old BMTC buses gradually..comfort does not come into picture. So, it would be a wholesome goody package if everyone commutes keeping the future in mind. Day by day.. the president of USA is also getting scared that India will reach a peak..outdoing everyone else. I'd say.. Go on!!! I see my city growing tremendously and at a speedy pace..the ever-beautiful Namma Bengaluru! So must be the rest of my country! Hereafter..There is no looking back!!

No comments:

Post a Comment